Local Cooling

Go Back   LocalCooling Forums > Open Lounge > Enviromental Lounge

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:45 PM

Default All new houses should include solar panels

i think it would be a great idea if all new housing included solar panels. here are some facts

- Solar panels last a long time of up to 30 years
- it will lower your power bills to only a few dollars
- some of the power feeds back into the power line so the power company pays you
- these solar pannels cost $6000-$8000 and eventually will pay itself out
- they include long term batteries so unused power gets stored for winter
- never experiance another blackout

they would be a very good idea and if all new houses included solar panels i think it would save a lot of carbon emissions. well, what do you think of it?

also, wind power is very efficient here are some facts

- wind power is controlled by propellers ontop of hills which the wind spins them and they generate power
- they are often placed out on the seas becuase there is lots of wind, they are tall and they are also noisy.
- you need ~100 of these to power a small city.
- they often have wind farms with ~50 turbines which are placed far from the city and the power travells to you/power company so you don't need to hear them
- they will cut down carbon emissions.

also, to save trees instead of getting your bills by the mail, request e-billing where they email you your bill and save a lot of trees.

fact: did you know that in the amazon forest, a whole soccer feild of trees is cleared in 1 minute

Post what you think about those ideas.

Last edited by cycrosism : 01-13-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM

hydro power would be good as it is the most efficient form of green power
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:32 PM

This is a good idea, but it would involve a lot more than a government agency making this a requirement or suggestion. Land planning and house orientation would come in to play. The developer of the house would need to make sure the house has at least one section of the roof facing South for solar to be really effective. Not to mention there are a lot of neighborhoods where I live that have tall mature hardwood trees around the houses that would block a lot of the sun light from getting to the panel. Wind in areas like where I live don't really product much power.

I would think that the most non-surrounding dependent solution would be to use a closed loop geo-thermal heating/cooling system with radient floors. The temperature of the earth is going to stay right around the 55 degree F mark regardless where you live (with the exception of the north pole)
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Arrow We can do more!

Hi all, after some reading of several topics posted, I cannot find -still- practical and creative solutions (some are widely known and others are not practical) any ideas?
I wellcome ideas because I'm allways trying to apply them

I do not want to be politically incorrect, but to all the nationals from countries that hasnt sign Tokyo protocol have more room to do something for the country, make potitians pass the bill related to the protocol.
Jin
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:07 PM

I think there should be a sort of requirement for solar panels on all new homes, but there should be a few loopholes of sorts. Such as, if you have a mature tree over your house (many people do), then no solar panels. However, in MOST new constructions now days, they clear cut the lot and build the house/building. Wrong in my opinion but it happens.

I also think there should be mandatory greenery on all new constructions.
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:59 PM

the wind turbines are a good idea but only for places that have enough wind because they would have to make the wind turbines higher up to get more wind and i dont think people would be too happy about a huge tower in everyones backyard. instead i think a farm of arrays of wind turbines would be better, like this
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:39 AM

nice idea